Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thoughts about Fathers

I was just thinking today how lucky I have been to be so close to my son. I am lucky to be with my precious boy every day of the week and a great deal of time on the weekends and evenings.  I wish my father and I would have had the same interaction.  Not that my dad wasn't around or not providing, but the day in and day out bond my son and I are building is already amazing and it is growing all the time.  I know I will have to really "step up my game" as he gets older because I want to be the best example and role model possible. 

My dad is my role model and a good one at that. Successful business man, involved and well liked in his community. He spent 23 years as a junior high school math teacher over 26 years ago and I still hear from some of his former students how highly they regard him.  I know what they mean. He's my dad!  I think at times if he would have had an opportunity to be with me as I am with my son would he have enjoyed it as much as I do? Probably not... things were very different in those days.  It doesn't matter because what we have now is special and his standards and caring heart have become my own. 

I am lucky to have him in my life to this day.  Ironically, my two closest friends have very unique situations and I learn from them all the time as well.  One is adopted and the other lost his father when he was a toddler.  Both have had father figures in their lives and one is a daddy now himself.  A damn good one, too! They are both influences in my life and supportive of me as the father to my son.  I am also very fortunate to have these guys in my life.  I hope all of you have special men in your lives, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment