Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Early Childhood Development and Television

Experts say that television is not a good thing before the child reaches 3 years of age.  I agree 99%!!! The exception for me is Nickelodeon Jr.-----as long as I remove my child during marketing blitzes.  The upside for Nick Jr. is no commercials from outside sources, so there are no toy promotions or cereal advertisements that may manipulate behavior or desires of the child.  Not all Nick Jr. programs are suitable for a little one under two years old by any means, but for now I am seeing a great deal of learning and development coming from certain shows.  I also like Sesame Street on PBS, but again the commercial breaks are avoided.  I am a marketing professional by trade, so I fully understand the potential influences of advertising and promotions.

Don't get me wrong here.... All day everyday is not appropriate. In fact, small doses of television (as mentioned above) mixed in with adult interaction (such as reading books, using flash cards and other learning tools), and plenty of play and excercise are the best medicine.

My mother always used to say about doctors: "There is a reason they call it a practice..."  and mother truly knows best :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment